The Bernal Heights Hillwide Garage Sale is Saturday 9-August! Here are 10 ProTips to getting rich (or at least cleaning out your garage):
- A group sale is better than going it alone. Hillwide is promoted across the city and the neighborhood. Everyone on the garage sale circuit waits for this event.
- Be prepared. Wear comfy clothes. Buy or make some snacks. Get $1 bills for change. Label things early. Setup the night before as much as possible because folks star early!
- Layout your items thoughtfully. Put big shiny objects by the road to stop people. Put your best stuff in the middle, less expensive items on the perimeter. Think of yourself like a grocery store – must have items are in the back (milk, butter, eggs), while all the impulse items are along the way.
- Price things low – you’re trying to clear the clutter, not become the Wolf of Bernal Heights.
- Label everything with price and if appropriate, a comment (like great for holiday baking).
- Be nice. Say hello to everyone. Answer their questions. Make friends – most of these folks are your neighbors
- Don’t bash your crap. Nobody needs to know your opinion about the quality of the items you’re selling. Price it low, don’t lie, and move on.
- Don’t be afraid to bargain with people. People bargain for items they want – keep it positive, keep moving forward and don’t let them walk away.
- Keep a ledger – what you sold and for how much, especially if you’re combining cash registers with multiple neighbors’s sales.
- Do not use a cash box. Carry your money on your person – a cash box is a target for thieves.
GET ON THE MAP at hillwide.com/register-now!